- London events
- > London events in January
- > London events on 1st January
This date has already passed
Are you looking for events on 1st January 2018?
Music, comedy & film
All the music concerts and comedy gigs in London on Sunday 1st January
• BFI IMAX Cinema Go and watch a 3D-movie at the BFI IMAX with state-of-the-art surround sound, and the largest cinema screen in the UK. • Harry Potter Studio Tour Explore the magical world of Harry Potter at Warner Bros Studios, and see some of the props and sets from the movies.
Go and watch a play on 1st Jan, New Year’s Day, or one of London’s musicals
This event is over
Raymond Briggs The Snowman to • Peacock Theatre Fly through the sky with the magical snowman, as the much-loved children's book "The Snowman" comes to the Peacock.
Family & Kid’s events
Take your kids to London on the 1 January for one of these family events
• Battersea Park Children’s Zoo Battersea Park Children's Zoo is a good place to visit for families with young kids, with plenty of small animals and birds. • Wembley Stadium Join a Wembley Stadium Tour and see the changing rooms, the pitch, and climb up to the Royal Box and lift the FA Cup.
Art & Museums
Visit an art gallery or museum on Sunday 1st January and see an exhibition
• Churchill War Rooms Enjoy a private tour of the Churchill War Rooms, and experience Winston Churchill's wartime bunker from behind the glass.
Royal & Religious
Why not try one of these religious services or Royal events on 1 January?
• Westminster Cathedral Westminster Cathedral's campanile is one of the city's best viewing platforms, rising 210 feet over the streets of Victoria. • Windsor Castle Visit the State Rooms at Windsor Castle, the world's oldest inhabited castle, and the Royal Family's home for over 1000 years.
Political & Military
Parades are always popular with tourists – here are some on the 1 January
This event is over
Climb up Big Ben, and see the bell • Big Ben This tour will take you all the way up to the top of the clock tower, where you can stand next to Big Ben as it strikes the hour.
• Horse Guards The Dismounting Ceremony (or 4 O'Clock Parade) is a short ceremony that takes place every day at the Horse Guards.
Sightseeing buses, boat tours and guided walks on Sunday 1st January
• BrakeAway Bike Tours Forget the sightseeing buses and jump on your bike... and see the major sights and landmarks of London from your saddle. • See London by Night The 'See London By Night' bus tour will show you London's most famous landmarks beautifully lit up in the night sky.
How about watching an opera, ballet, or listening to some classical music?
• Royal Albert Hall This guided tour of the Royal Albert Hall will take you inside one of the balcony boxes for a fantastic view of the auditorium. This event is over
New Years Day Gala, at Barbican Hall • Barbican Hall Start your New Year with a concert of classics at Barbican Hall, performed by the London Concert Orchestra.
There are lots of free events happening in London on the 1 January
• Parliament Hill Enjoy London's skyline from the top of Parliament Hill, which takes in the Gherkin, London Eye, St Paul's and Canary Wharf. • Spitalfields City Farm Spitalfields City Farm is a nice place to take your kids, but did you know that you can volunteer to help out on the farm?
Other London events
Don’t forget these other good events in London on Sunday 1st January
• Wellington Arch The balconies on Wellington Arch have views of Constitution Hill, Apsley House and part of Buckingham Palace's gardens. • Fortnum & Mason Put on your best clothes and enjoy an elegant Afternoon Tea in the famous Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon at Fortnum & Mason. • Tate Modern Check out the restaurant and bar at the Tate Modern art gallery, for a great view of St. Paul's Cathedral across the river.