London music venues
Royal Opera House
- Royal Opera House map
- Royal Opera House, Bow Street, Covent GardenWC2E 9DD
- Work 0207 304 4000
Opening times and price
- Opening hours:
- Box office – 10 AM to 8 PM (Mon–Sat)
- Visiting hours are subject to change
Getting to Royal Opera House
- Find car parks near Royal Opera House
- Find minicab firms near Royal Opera House
- 1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, 23, 26, 68, 76, 77a, 91, 168, 171, 176, 188, 501, 505, 521, X68
- London bus fares
- Charing Cross BKL NRN, Covent Garden PCL, Embankment BKL CRC DSC NRN, Holborn CNT PCL, Leicester Square NRN PCL
- The nearest train station to Royal Opera House is Covent Garden
- London underground fares
The Royal Opera House started out in 1732 as the Covent Garden Theatre, but a disastrous fire gutted it in 1808. A second theatre opened just one year later – but that burnt down in 1856.
The third and final theatre was renamed The Royal Opera House in 1892. Most of what we see today was refitted in 1996 at a cost of £210 million.
Royal Opera Company, and ballet
The building’s long history has led to it getting a number of great British debuts. For example, Mozart’s Don Giovanni was first performed here in 1817, as was The Marriage of Figaro. Other great operas to get a London airing include The Barber of Seville, and Puccini’s Tosca.
The vast majority of the productions are put on by the Royal Opera Company – England’s leading operatic company – but were joined in 1946 by the Royal Ballet.
The two companies now share an orchestra and chorus of forty-five singers.
|Awful 0% ||Poor 0% ||Okay 0% ||Good 33% ||Great 67% |
- ian meyer – “I've been to a couple of opera houses in my life -- the one in paris and the sydney opera house and I think this is probably 2nd after the one in paris which just looks fantastic. I dont like opera all that much (my wife drags me along) but I have find that there's still plenty to enjoy. The stage at the royal opera house is huge and the sets that I have seen look amazing. Sometimes they dont look like sets at all -- it looks like they have built actual pr… more”
Pubs near Royal Opera House · Restaurants near Royal Opera House