Regent Street forms the border between the well-to-do residents of Mayfair and their seedy Soho neighbours.
It was laid out between 1813 and 1823 by the architect John Nash. None of his original work survives however, as it was completely rebuilt from 1898 to accommodate larger shops.
It was part of the so-called Nash Sweep – a grand processional route which ran from Carlton House to Regent’s Park. Unfortunately the money ran out halfway through, and only several segments were ever built – so we are left to rue what might have been.
The whole area around Regent Street and Piccadilly Circus is home to some of London’s most exclusive shops. Try Liberty department store for fine fabrics, and Hamleys toy store for every kind of children’s toy.