Pimlico encompasses the area between Vauxhall Bridge Road in the east, Chelsea Bridge Road in the west, and Ebury Street in the north.
The origin of the name ‘Pimlico’ is unknown, but some claim that it comes from the ‘Pamlicos’ – a tribe of North American Indians who traded lumber with London in the 17th-century. A more likely story is that it came from a local drink, or a publican named Ben Pimlico. Other people say that was named after a residential bird who nested in these parts… but no one really knows.
The earliest record of occupation in the area comes from 1626, when a row of cottages were built on land belonging to Westminster Abbey. Most of the surrounding lands were rough gardens, vegetable patches and unleased land belonging to the Grosvenor family.
The Grosvenors went on to build up Mayfair, and leased Pimlico to a guy called Thomas Cubitt. He had previously developed the area around Bloomsbury and Belgravia, and never reached their giddy heights here.
The few stand-out features that still survive are Ebury Street and Eccleston Square. They’ve even had a few famous residents – Winston Churchill lived at No.33 Eccleston Square between 1908 and 1911, and Mozart composed his very first symphony at number 180 Ebury Street when he was eight-years-old.
Pubs near Pimlico · Restaurants near Pimlico