London art galleries
- Hayward Gallery map
- Hayward Gallery, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Road, SouthbankSE1 8XX
- Work 0207 960 4200
Opening times and price
- Opening hours:
- The gallery is currently closed for refurbishment, and is not expected to re-open again until late-2017
- Visiting hours are subject to change
- Time required:
- A typical visit to Hayward Gallery lasts 45-60 mins (approx)
Getting to Hayward Gallery
- Find car parks near Hayward Gallery
- Find minicab firms near Hayward Gallery
- 1, 4, 26, 59, 68, 76, 139, 168, 171, 172, 176, 188, 243, 341, 521, RV1
- London bus fares
- Embankment BKL CRC DSC NRN, Temple CRC DSC, Waterloo BKL JUB NRN W&C
- The nearest train station to Hayward Gallery is Waterloo
- London underground fares
See all art exhibitions in London
Important note – Hayward Gallery closed in September 2015 for repairs and refurbishment. It will re-open again sometime in 2017.
The Hayward Gallery was designed by Hubert Bennett in 1968, and named after the leader of the GLC – Sir Isaac Hayward.
It is perhaps the grimmest of the Southbank Centre’s concrete catastrophes (one architect accused it of having a
quite frightening ugliness), but don’t let the depressing shell keep you from the inside – where you’ll find major art exhibitions by the world’s leading artists.
Art exhibitions at the Hayward
The Hayward Gallery focuses mainly on contemporary British art, but has ever-changing exhibitions by international artists. They feature a wide range of paintings, sculpture and photography. Admissions rates vary, depending on what’s on.
|Awful 0% ||Poor 0% ||Okay 25% ||Good 0% ||Great 75% |
- glenking – “If you think the building looks good then you will probably think the art inside looks good too, but if you are a normal person who thinks that the building is about as good looking as a multi-storey car park, then give the stuff inside a miss and go to a proper gallery like the national instead because t is much better. The problem with this place is that the stuff they show is never as good as the tate modern, which gets all the good stuff, and they char… more”
Pubs near Hayward Gallery · Restaurants near Hayward Gallery