Areas of London
Gerrard Street, Chinatown
- Chinatown map location
Chinatown address and telephone
- Chinatown is located at: Around Gerrard Street and Lisle Street, Soho,
- Time required:
- A typical visit to Chinatown lasts 15 mins (approx)
How to get to Chinatown
- When visiting Chinatown you can use the following:
- Find minicab and taxi firms near Chinatown
- 14, 15, 19, 22, 24, 29, 38, 94, 176
- London bus fares
- Charing Cross BKL NRN, Covent Garden PCL, Leicester Square NRN PCL, Piccadilly Circus BKL PCL, Tottenham Court Road CNT NRN
- If you want to visit Chinatown by train then the nearest underground station to Chinatown is Leicester Square
- London underground fares
You can watch all of our London videos and subscribe at our YouTube channel
Chinatown centres around Gerrard Street, in the heart of London’s Soho. It is filled with red lanterns, dragons and Mandarin street signs.
It is particularly busy during the weekend, when the local Asian population flock to the shops to stock up on Chinese foodstuffs, not readily available elsewhere. And if you want a taste of China, its got the best Chinese restaurants in town.
Chinese New Year in Chinatown
The most colourful time to visit is during the Chinese New Year – at the end of January/early February. Huge papier-mâché dragons dance through the streets with fire-crackers banging on the pavement.
- Edmund Burke – 37 Gerrard Street
- “Author and statesman, lived here.”
- John Dryden – 43 Gerrard Street
- “Poet, lived here.”
|Awful 14% ||Poor 0% ||Okay 57% ||Good 14% ||Great 14% |
- mike – “They've got some fantastic restaurants in chinatown. If you want a real authentic chinese meal then go to mr kong. Its not too expensive for the middle of London and the menu is huge. They've got just about every chinese meal possible and I must have tried at least half of them by now. I just love it because its in the middle of chinatown and I swear that with all the authentic chinese stuff and people around it just makes it taste a lot better.”
- Athena – “Agreed there's not much to see. There is of course the gates before you come into china town, the pagoda at the end of the "town" where old chinese men gather to play poker. Plenty of good restaurants, too mention my favourites; ikkyusan, gerrard's corner, rasa sayang and hk diner just outside official china town. Ikkyusan and rasa sayanga don't serve only chinese cuisine, the latter at all.. But still very good restaurants.”
If you like Chinatown, then you might also like…
Soho was once the seedier side of London, but now has plenty of pubs, clubs and Chinatown.
> Gerrard Street
Gerrard Street in London’s Chinatown is filled with red lanterns, dragons and Chinese restaurants.
> Leicester Square
Leicester Square at night buzzes with people in the pubs, clubs and three huge cinemas.
> Piccadilly Circus
The bright lights of Piccadilly Circus and the statue of Eros have become London landmarks.
Buy an Oyster Card – for the easiest and cheapest fares
Save money – Get the cheapest fares on the London’s buses and trains
Special offers – Buy a ‘Visitor Oyster card’ and enjoy extra discounts
Quick and easy – Just touch your card down on the reader, and go!
Read our review:
Alexander Fleming Museum
Alexander Fleming was the Scottish doc who discovered penicillin. He received a Nobel Prize for it, a knighthood from th… more
Read our review:
Hampton Court Palace
If you grew up within ten miles of Hampton Court Palace then this place was your educational day out. This is how they'd… more
Read our review:
We're lucky in London because we always have plenty of Christmas lights up for six weeks at least. We're those nutty nei… more
Save some money with London Pass Cheap entry into London attractions
Learn more about London Pass
> Save moneyFree or discounted entry into top attractions
> Save timeJump the longest queues with Fast Track entry
Have you seen our London book?
Find out more and read a free sample
Get the ebook
Get the paperback
Honest reviews of London’s landmarks and attractions
Money saving tips things to do for free and cheap days out
Useful information with opening times, prices, photos, maps