Chancery Lane dates back to the reign of Edward III in the late 14th-century, and gained its name from the Convert’s House which stood on the site. This was a refuge for Jews who had renounced their faith, and came under the control of the Lord Chancellor.
The Convert’s House was demolished in 1896 to make room for the British National Archives – better known as the Public Records Office.
The Public Records Office contained many national treasures, including William the Conqueror’s Domesday Book and a copy of the Magna Carta dating back to 1225.
They also had William Shakespeare’s will and many legal archives.