- Bedford Square map location
Bedford Square address
- Bedford Square, BloomsburyWC1
How to get to Bedford Square
- Find minicab firms near Bedford Square
- 1, 7, 8, 10, 14, 19, 24, 25, 29, 38, 55, 73, 98, 134, 177, 189, 243, 390, X68
- Bus fares in London
- Goodge Street NRN, Russell Square PCL, Tottenham Court Road CNT NRN
- The nearest train station to Bedford Square is Tottenham Court Road
- Train fares in London
Bedford Square is named after Bedford House, the ancestral home of the 5th Duke of Bedford. This was knocked down in 1800 and replaced with Georgian housing designed by James Burton.
Various statues stand on the north side, including Charles Fox (leader of the Whig Party in the 1790s) and Richard Westmacott.
Bedford Square used to be home to numerous publishing houses, including Virginia Woolf’s Bodley House, but they all moved out in the nineties.
- Lord Eldon – 6 Bedford Square
- “Lord Chancellor, lived here.”
- Henry Cavendish – 11 Bedford Square
- “Natural philosopher, lived here, born 1731, died 1810.”