- London events
- > London military events
- > Parades in London
There are three daily parades in London: the Ceremony of the Keys, Dismounting Ceremony, and Changing the Guard at Horse Guards. The parade at Buckingham Palace is sometimes every other day. Annual parades include the State Opening of Parliament, Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday.
Parades in London
• Tower of London The Ceremony of the Keys is over 700 years old, and represents the traditional locking up of the Tower of London at night.
• Horse Guards Changing the Guard at Horse Guards is similar to the ceremony at Buckingham Palace, but is usually a lot less crowded.
• Horse Guards The Dismounting Ceremony (or 4 O'Clock Parade) is a short ceremony that takes place every day at the Horse Guards.
• Horse Guards Two weeks before they celebrate the Queen's birthday at Trooping the Colour, they hold the Major General's Review.
to • Horse Guards Beating Retreat is a magnificent pageant of military music and drill by the Massed Bands of the Royal Marines on Horse Guards Parade.
• Tower of London The HAC will be firing a 62-gun salute by the Tower of London, to mark the anniversary of the Queen's Coronation in 1953.
• Green Park The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery will be firing a 41-gun salute to mark the 64th anniversary of the Queen's Coronation.
• Horse Guards One week before the actual 'Trooping the Colour' parade, they hold a second rehearsal called "The Colonel's Review".
to • Horse Guards Beating Retreat is a floodlit pageant of military music and drill on Horse Guards Parade, ending with a salute to the Queen.
• Horse Guards Watch a parade of soldiers and bands marching down The Mall in 'Trooping the Colour', to celebrate the Queen's birthday.
• Tower of London The HAC will be firing off a 62-gun salute by Gun Wharf at the Tower of London, to honour Prince Philip's 96th birthday.
• Hyde Park The KTRHA will be firing a 41-gun salute for Prince Philip in Hyde Park, to mark the Duke of Edinburgh's 96th birthday.
to • Notting Hill The Notting Hill Carnival takes place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and is the biggest and busiest street festival in Europe, attracting over a million revellers.
• The City The Lord Mayor's Show is a spectacular event which includes a river pageant, followed by a procession in a gold coach, and ending with a fireworks display.
• Cenotaph On Remembrance Sunday the Queen, war veterans and politicians, will gather to remember our war dead at The Cenotaph.
• Tower of London The HAC will be firing off a 62-gun salute at the Tower of London, to make sure everyone knows it's Prince Charles' birthday.
• Green Park The KTRHA will be firing a 41-gun salute in Green Park to mark Prince Charles' 69th birthday (happy birthday Charlie!)