Threadneedle Street is best known for the Bank of England, and occupies a central point in the City of London. But its origins lie in another trade entirely – cloth works.
It is believed to have got its name from the needle and thread used by two of the original livery companies – Needle makers and Merchant Tailors.
In 1243 a community of French protestants moved in and established a school on the north side of the street. Several famous names received their education here, most notably Thomas More – who acted as Lord Chancellor during the reign of Henry VIII.
These buildings were subsequently destroyed in the Great Fire of London, along with the Royal Exchange and four-fifths of the City.
The Stock Exchange moved in around 1733, shortly followed by the Bank of England one year later. Most of the other buildings now have some kind of financial attachment.