St. Lawrence Jewry church sits opposite the Guildhall in the old Jewish quarter of the City – the chief street of which is situated south: Old Jewry.
The church was designed by Christopher Wren in 1670 – after the original 13th-century building was burnt to the ground in the Great Fire of London. It suffered further damage during the Blitz, and was restored by Cecil Brown.
Its proximity to the seat of municipal government has made it the official church of the Corporation of London. Both the Lord Mayor and alderman have their own designated pews.