St Giles Cripplegate
St. Giles Cripplegate
St. Giles church, Barbican
- St. Giles Cripplegate map
- St. Giles Cripplegate , Fore Street, Barbican EC2Y 8DA
- Work 0207 638 1997
Getting to St. Giles Cripplegate
- Find car parks near St. Giles Cripplegate
- Find minicab firms near St. Giles Cripplegate
- 4, 8, 21, 25, 43, 56, 76, 100, 133, 141, 153, 176, 243, 812
- London bus fares
- Barbican CRC H&C MET, Mansion House CRC DSC, Moorgate CRC H&C MET NRN, St. Paul’s CNT
- The nearest train station to St. Giles Cripplegate is Barbican
- London underground fares
See all religious events in London
Tucked away amongst the concrete walls of the Barbican is St. Giles Cripplegate church. It is one of the few churches to survive both the Great Fire of 1666 and the Luftwaffe’s bombs in 1940.
It was originally built in the mid 16th-century and took its name from one of the five ancient gates into the City: Aldgate, Newgate, Bishopsgate, Cripplegate and Ludgate.
Oliver Cromwell was married here in 1620, and the grave of poet John Milton is hidden in the crypt.
- Be the first person to write a review, or ask a question