Facts and information
Shops in Burlington Arcade
- Burlington Arcade, 51 Piccadilly, Mayfair,
- Opening times:
- 8 AM to 6.30 PM (Mon–Wed, Fri)l 8 AM to 7 PM (Thu); 9 AM to 6.30 PM (Sat); 11 AM to 5 PM (Sun)
- Note: Opening times are subject to change, and may not apply on public holidays. Always reconfirm with the venue before making plans.
- Work +44 (0) 207 630 1411
- 3 6 8 9 12 13 14 15 19 22 23 38 88 94 139 159 453 C2
- Green Park JUB PCL VIC, Oxford Circus BKL CNT VIC, Piccadilly Circus BKL PCLNote: The nearest train station to Burlington Arcade is Piccadilly Circus. We can help you find the best route from King’s Cross, Paddington, Victoria, Waterloo and any other train station:
Burlington Arcade is a posh shopping mall off Piccadilly. It is one of the most famous arcades in London – run by ‘Beadles’ in top-hat and tails.
When it was built back in the 1820s, old members of the 10th Hussars were hired to keep the public under control as it used to back onto Burlington House (now the Royal Academy of Arts), so peace and quiet was preferred. These days the Hussars have gone, and have been replaced with the less scary ‘Beadles’.
The Beadles, or Burlington Berties, are kitted out in top hats and tails – long Edwardian frock coats that reach below their knees. They may look friendly, but beware of their draconian rules: they’ll have you for singing, whistling and chewing gum. (And for christ’s sake, please don’t run through with an open umbrella!)
>> Drummerboy’s blog – Burlington Arcade
- Drummerboy – “It’s a bit risky walking down there when you look like a loser with no money like me, because the Burlington Berties might chuck you out. They are supposed to stalk the mall kicking out the louts, but if truth be told they are just a couple of old guys in top hat and tails. They are supposed to enforce a load of dopey rules like “no whistling!” and “no singing!” but they are totally useless. When I was in there today a couple of kids decided to tempt fate and whistle a few bars, but what did they do? Nothing. Nought. I thought they’d come charging down with machine guns blazing and blow the kids away, but they didn’t even beat them up or nothing.… continued.”